I had the chance to fish with two old fishing buddies of mine over this past Mother’s Day weekend. I had Doug Brodsky and Bob Danielson out for an evening session in the Great South Bay for some bucktailing of bluefish and striped bass. I’ve fished with these guys a lot since first meeting them both as members of a local fishing club. In recent years, for one reason or another, we have not been able to get out together like we used to so it was a GREAT time for a little reunion of sorts.

A couple of years back Doug became  a partner in Blue Frog Bucktails with the company founder Bruce Froh. We have always fished these bucktails so it was a natural thing when the chance arose that Doug jumped on-board. They are still the only bucktails found aboard the Maybe Tonight.

Fire Island Striped Bass on Blue Frog Bucktails

Blue Frog Bucktails partner Doug Brodsky with a Fire Island Striped Bass

 Bob has been VERY involved in the Fisheries management for as long as I have known him. He sits on the Board for New York Sportfishing Federation and is an appointed Councilor for the M.R.A.C advisory panel. To say he is active in this arena would be an understatement.

Long Island Striped Bass Fishing - New York Fishing Charters

Bob Danielson with a bucktailed Striped bass

We headed across the bay into a solid 20-25kt breeze. We started the trip back to the east in the bay and found bluefish more than willing almost immediately. White/Green bucktails tipped with 3-4inch pork rind were the ticket. As the tide slacked we ran west back up the bay and fished several more pieces with the same result. Bluefish everywhere, small ones but they put up a good account for themselves on the light tackle being used. We had several occasions where a hooked fish would have a few of his friends following him up to the boat.

As the sun hit the horizon the flood current was moving nicely and we moved west again. First cast Doug lands a striped bass of 29 inches. Then another slightly larger. Finally Bob scored one that went 31 inches. We picked away at the bass until the area began getting over run with boat traffic which seemed to shut the fish down a bit.

With the bite slowing and the wind now HONKIN’ we decided to beat it back to the marina around 10:30pm. My sides were aching from the laughs all night and fish were in the box. What a blast it was being out with my old friends again. Thanks guys, it was TOO much fun!!!